End the Frustrations!
You have bought a great product from Seagate. The GoFlex Satellite or perhaps the Wireless Plus Hard Disk. I must admit that the product is really nice. In theory, I could have a 500GB/1TB iPad. All my music, movies, documents are easily accessible via WiFi and I could even allow a few more friends to access it. I could even use my DNLA compatible Media Player / TV to stream movies from it.
So what’s the problem then? Why do we want to “hack” it ?
Have you tried copying lots of media into the hard drive and it does not show up in the Seagate GoFlex App? Your Seagate GoFlex App keeps telling you that you have lost the connection to it and then you are unable to join the WiFi that the Satellite has created? Tired of switching between the Satellite’s WiFi and your existing WiFi so that you could also check your emails or perhaps update your FaceBook Status?
Hoping that the GoFlex Satellite will sync with your DropBox account whenever it connects to the internet?
How about bringing your iTunes Server everywhere you go with you?
Wished that the photos that you take with your Camera using the EyeFi Card could be uploaded automatically into the GoFlex Satellite / Wireless Plus?
How about accessing keynote , pages, or numbers documents from your GoFlex Satellite / Wireless Plus and upload the edited file back?
Thousands of photos on your iPad and you wish you could have it uploaded to the GoFlex Satellite / Wireless Plus?
Upload RAW images to your GoFlex Satellite / Wireless Plus and preview on them ?
It is all these pains that we were encountering from the GoFlex Satellite and Wireless Plus that prompted the team to do something. Something that we hope you will appreciate our efforts in doing so.
We love to hear your thoughts on what we have done. Email us @ email@example.com
They gave you a Media Store… We make it a NAS!!
THE LIGHT INTERFACE for GoFlex Satellite (GFS) or Wireless Plus (W+)
NOW on Version 3.02(GoFlex Satellite) and Version 3.12(Wireless Plus) — USD35 . Both versions took us a while longer to build. It provides additional functionalities that the GoFlex Satellite (GFS) or the Wireless Plus (W+) did not provide at this point in time. It will work with Seagate’s version 1.3.6.001(GFS) or 2.0.0.055(W+) of their firmware.
- *New* Battery Status indication (W+ Only)
- *New* Thumbnail Generation for video files including AVI, MP4, M4V, MKV, RMVB, MOV, WMV.
- *New* Thumbnail Generation for iWork and PDF files.
- *New* Firewalling of public network if joined to other networks prevents other users on the network from access the services.
- *New* RAW Image Thumbnail Support based on camera list based on DCRaw
- *New* CLI for Backup and Restore of configuration
- *New* 2 partition support on GoFlex Satellite / Wireless Plus. All Data and Mod Files resides on 1st partition. The 2nd partition can be used for other purposes such as Time Machine Backup for Mac Users. ** Drive will still be in Master Boot Record Partition Map Scheme.
- *New* Retina Display Support for iPad 3/4 , MacBook Pro with Retina Display
- *New* Ability to join Hidden WiFi Network (W+ Only)
- iOS 6 Compatible. Tested on Apple’s iOS 6 on iOS devices.
- DropBox Integration! The GFS/W+ can be configured to sync with your DropBox account whenever it boots up, every 5 , 15 or 30 minutes interval. Check out how easy it is here. ** Unicode support available from Version 3.02 on the GFS or Version 3.12 on the W+ for DropBox Sync.
- iTunes Server! Have you ever wished that your iTunes on your PC/Mac would be able to access to the thousands of songs that you have carried with you on the GoFlex Satellite? Look no further! It is available NOW in our Version 3 Firmware! Check out how easy it is to configure it here. DAAP Support for supported Audio files only. Tested on iTunes 11 !
- Custom Shell scripts support for advanced users
- Completely NEW Interface! The Menu Bar is the Status Bar and the Menu Bar changes dynamically! See GUI differences in both versions here.
- Ability to have Password Prompt for Full Interface or just Setup interface preventing unauthorized changes or access.
- On Demand Scan Images to save system resources.
- Playback of entire folder of photos, music and/or videos.
- Multiple Playlist Support for our built in Audio Player.
- CPU Load, Memory Free and Total Network Rate Charts
- Network Performance monitoring for Transmit, Receive and Total Data Rate.
- Built in Help for each service with ability to update help file by user.
- Ability to use the GUI to join an existing WiFi Network without rebooting. The GFS/W+ acts as your Gateway. It will support WEP, WPA, WPA2 and Open Networks.
- Hide SSID of GFS / W+ – This will hide the SSID from being scanned by Wireless Clients.
- EyeFi Server – Have an EyeFi Pro X2 Card ? We’ve incorporated EyeFi Server (Kudos to firstname.lastname@example.org for writing the codes) in this release so that photographers are able to bring the GFS/W+ on the go, use the EyeFi Pro X2 Card and have the photos uploaded automatically into the GFS/W+ via a designated folder. Check out how easy it is to config here.
- FTP Server addition- Some users have requested for FTP server to allow them to use the FluCard for uploading of photos as well. Check out other cool ways of using it here.
- Known WiFi Networks AutoJoin – Always traveling between a few places and tired of rejoining the WiFi over and over again? AutoJoin allows you to specify the known supported networks.
- iPhone interface – We started to mod the original seagate firmware based on iPad resolution that we love. Many users also wanted to have a iPhone interface. We’ve now a lightweight interface on the iPhone which does not allow any access to the settings via the GUI. It’s good enough to allow someone on the iPhone to enjoy your media and not tamper with your settings.
- CoverArt Support – We’ve added cover art support for MP3 and M4A files. Scan images needs to be done for the Cover Art to appear.
- WebDAV Access is now via Port 8443 instead of 443 on the previous versions of our mod. This is to allow https access via port 443
- Bonjour Address will now auto translate to IP address reducing the chances of bonjour requests being blocked.
- Customizable hostname. Instead of hardcoding to the SSID, You will be able to change it.
- Ability to turn on DLNA/UPnP Service or to set to start at boot. *Use with caution as scanning of media will slow down the GFS/W+ by a bit*
- Ability to change the startup path of the interface to hide our mods or user specific path.
- HTTP Authentication. Allows you to set a password prior to accessing the files on the GoFlex Satellite / Wireless Plus
- Bonjour support. The name is fixed to the SSID that you assign to the GFS/W+. SSH, SFTP, WebDAV and SMB Services should all broadcast over Bonjour. You can use “yourSSID.local” to look for the unit.
- WiFi Network scanning is now available.
- Samba 3 and WebDAV support and Ability to define SMB and WebDAV to start on boot. Use iWork Apps with the GoFlex Satellite and iPad. Check it out here.
- Slideshow support
- SMB Guest – Maps to Public Folder. SMB Mapped User – Access Entire Hard disk
- Transmit and Receive Rates including bitrate of the Wireless Network
- Disk Bar Status to show space available in both firmware and your hard disk
- Icon for ”Add to Home Screen” on iOS device
- Ability to hide the SSID of the GoFlex Satellite
- 3 modes of operations : OnDemand, Conservative, Low Power
- OnDemand clocks your CPU at 800MHz. it starts from 300MHz and will jump to accommodate the processing load.
- Conservative clocks your CPU at 800MHz, it starts from 300MHz and will progressively move up to 800MHz.
- Low Power clocks your CPU at 300MHz , ideal to keep the unit alive.
HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS AVAILABLE : (Singapore Only)
Replace your Hard Disk on your GoFlex Satellite or Wireless Plus with a Solid State Drive for SCREAMING PERFORMANCE!
- It will be shock proof. Put it in your haversack and roam around town with no fear of a hard drive failure. The GFS / W+ can be your NAS in the car for a whole family of fun!
- Better battery life! SSDs takes up lesser power than conventional Hard Disk.
Drive Replacement Only : S$50** (Add S$50 for Version 3 Firmware) ** WE ONLY ACCEPT BARE SATA SOLID STATE DRIVES – For Singapore Customers, **Prices excludes shipping both ways.
Drive Replacement Only : USD35** (Add USD35 for Version 3 Firmware) ** WE ONLY ACCEPT SATA SOLID STATE DRIVES – For International Customers. **Prices excludes shipping both ways.
Want a BIGGER Hard Disk for your Satellite ? How does a 1TB GoFlex Satellite sound to you? We also provide service to remove and replace your 500GB HDD to a larger one. If you are game enough to do it yourself.. Check out our video tutorial here.
All tests have been conducted via iPad running iOS 6.1.1 as well as Safari 6.0 and Chrome Browser on Windows and Macs. Internet Explorer and Firefox are NOT supported.
Most of the projects are Open Source projects which are FREE. You are NOT paying for the Open Source Projects. You are paying for the Team’s dedication in piecing the various puzzle pieces together. You are also paying for the interface that the team built on Version 3.